THE CHRISTCHURCH CITY CHOIR SCHOLARSHIPS
2014 is the year of new beginnings for the Christchurch City Choir. The highly respected Andrew Withington has been appointed to the role of Music Director following the retirement of Brian Law. We look forward to an exciting new chapter of the Choir under Andrew’s excellent leadership.
In celebration of this, we were delighted to offer a number of choral scholarships (valued at $250 each) for secondary students to perform in the Choir’s first concert of the year, which took place on Friday, 11 April 2014. This exciting concert, entitled ‘Scores of Canvases’, featured magical works from the sacred, New Zealand, art, jazz and spiritual canvases.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIPS
The Christchurch City Choir Scholarship Scheme started in 2008 under the Musical Directorship of Brian Law, giving high school and university students the opportunity to sing with a large symphonic choir.
The Christchurch City Choir Board wants to give young people a chance to experience singing in a professional setting with a symphonic choir, but, more significantly, it wants to kindle a passion for choral music and give students a positive, successful and lasting impression of this beautiful music.
Around the world choral music has been losing the popularity race against other forms of easier and instant entertainment, which has had an impact on the number of school-leavers joining community choirs. This enduring music form immerses students in a unique soundscape that can only be experienced inside a large choir. The Board wants to leave young singers with a real sense of achievement that they can draw on throughout their lives.
The choral scholarships are open to accomplished students, from Year 11 up, who can sing and read music and are keen to embrace the opportunity to sing for the City’s first class symphonic choir.
As a scholar, you will :
- be listed in the programme of the concert(s) in which you perform
- be provided with a music pack for the rehearsals and concerts
- receive two free tickets to the concert(s) in which you perform
- be tutored during a vocal workshop during the concert’s rehearsal period
- be offered full membership of the Choir upon completion of your scholarship
- receive $250 for your commitment to this concert (upon completion)
As the provider, we will require you to:
- rehearse for 6-7 weeks prior to the concert(s)
- attend at least 80% of rehearsals for the concert(s), undertaking any homework set
- observe choir and concert etiquette
- participate in the concert(s)
For more information and future opportunities, please contact our office.